The colonization of Chianti begins towards the end of the 1500s after the cessation of hostilities between the Republics of Siena and Florence and the origin of Villa Casalecchi dates from that time. Built, in fact, as a farmhouse with the typical characteristics of rural buildings of the era. It consists of three floors above ground each one a separate space: the lower floor was the animal shelter, the central floor designed to house the family, and the top floor was for the food supply.
Thus began the story of Casalecchi, whose name seems to come from the type of trees that surrounded the house: the oaks precisely, hence the name "House of the Holm". The current structure of the Villa, no tower, comes from subsequent interventions and expansions, made by the LecchiniGiovannoni family, and the villa still belongs to the heirs of the family.
Adolfo Lecchini had married a girl, Elvira, of a prominent Florentine family, the only daughter of Cav. John Giovannoni, prince of the Court of Florence.
Elvira, along with the name, brought him a huge agricultural and real Estate.
The new family, Lecchini Giovannoni, became the owner of one of the largest estates in all of Chianti, second only to those of the Castle of Brolio, Tenuta del Barone Ricasoli.
At the time they used to say: "to secure a peaceful old age you have to have a farm in Chianti", the Lecchini Giovannoni family owned 33 farms covering an area of over 2,000 hectares of land.
The architect Giuseppe Poggi was commissioned to renovate and expand the farmhouse Casalecchi to turn it into a villa, the summer residence of the LecchiniGiovannoni family. Giuseppe Poggi was the great architect and town planner of Florence when capital of Italy. He had been given the charge of breaking down the medieval walls surrounding the city by the City Council, and to replace them with wide avenues, on the model of other major European cities of that period.
This and other important urban interventions by Giuseppe Poggi transformed the appearance of Florence, but also had legal consequences which the architect Poggi coped with through the legal representation of his lawyer, Giovannoni. Their meeting led to a deep bond of friendship between the two men and the subsequent initiating of the restructuring assignment of the Villa Casalecchi and its expansion by the architect, Poggi.
In the spring of that year, during the 2nd World War, the villa was requisitioned by the Germans who set up their own command and so endured the bombing of the Allied Forces which in turn occupied it in the summer of 1944 to the spring of 1945 .
Mrs. Elvira LecchiniGiovannoni, granddaughter of Elvira and Adolfo, a woman of great talent and foresight, sensed, before anyone else, that Chianti had the potential to become a major tourist destination: "Villa Casalecchi was surrounded by a very beautiful countryside , a precious land that held a wide variety of artistic and culinary excellence "
She decided to open the doors of her villa to many guests from all over the world, sensitive to the charm of this nineteenth-century residence, and the "Good Living Toscana"